Home

Thursday, February 09, 2006

By Special Request


Whos down in Whoville. That big pink thing in the background is "the Clover" upon which the Whos dustspeck was placed by Horton. Whos and Speck are actually smaller than they appear : .) (Photo courtesy of MadRetz & Willow Grace)


Happy Whos Celebrating Christmas After Grinch's Heart Grew Three Sizes (Photo courtesy of MadRetz & Willow Grace)


Taking our bows! Grinch, me, Adult Who 1 and Adult Who 2 (Photo courtesy of MadRetz & Willow Grace)


Final Performance...Me, Cat in the Hat (KT) and Cindy Lou Who (Sis)

Last summer I was in the musical Seussical which is based on the Dr. Seuss stories, Cat in the Hat, Horton Hears a Who, the Grinch Who Stole Christmas, and the story of Mazie and Gertrude. (I don't know all my Seuss titles, if you can believe ths, my mom didn't read those books to my sister and I when we were kids.) Essentially, I was challenged by a co-worker, Kris, who directs multi-generational, funded only by donation, stage productions every year for her church. It was like a dare, so I had to. Mind you, I DON'T ACT! Uh, and I don't sing (unless I'm in my car where I'm a real rock star), and I only dance when no one is looking. (I'm quite good then! Never mind that I taught aerobics for 5 years.)

AnyWho (hee!) I did all three, on stage, 4 shows, in front of A LOT of people, friends and family included. I agreed because my little friend Sis said she would do it if Auntie did it. I needed Sis to hold my hand. So, there we were, Cindy Lou Who, with me as her mom, Linda Lou Who.

I loved the process of creating a musical, even more than being on stage. I loved spending my summer with so many talented children. (Adults too!) I loved the challenge of doing something that really scared me. I LOVED wearing those happy faced boxer shorts, obnoxious eye make-up and that fluorescent green hair!!! What a fantastic experience! I have the dvd, if you want to watch!!! : .)

2 comments:

Nan said...

What a great experience! Thanks for sharing the wonderful pictures. I LOVE things like this!
I've been asked to read Dr. Seuss stories at the school where I used to teach on NEA's Dr. Seuss day. I jumped at the chance! Of course, I've been asked the last two years and it's snowed and closed school every year so I'm hoping third time's the charm.

Ragged Around the Edges said...

So cool and what a neat concept: multi-generational. How neat.