Home

Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Zero to Snore in 3 Minutes

Looks innocuous doesn't it? A little white pill.


My sinuses do not sing to the glories of spring. Even after two years of immunotherapy (read: shots every week for 104 weeks), I still need a little help with congestion and post-nasal drip, so after a trip to the allergist, I was prescribed Zyrtec-D. One of the warning labels on the bottle said "may cause drowsiness."

Aaaah well, the opposite occurred for me and I experienced three, count 'em, three sleepless nights. I'm talking NO SLEEP. NO SLEEP makes Phinner very cranky. Just ask MadRetz. We were at Disneyland the weekend I started taking the meds.

Yesterday I refilled the prescription. This time, I actually read the prescription information provided with the prescription. It says this medication contains PSEUDOEPHEDRINE.

PSEUDOEPHEDRINE is not good for Phinner. Phinner's heartbeat skips and Phinner's general practitioner said Phinner shouldn't take medications with PSEUDOEPHEDRINE (Sudafed) because it causes Phinner's heart to race. Bad for hearts that skip beats. And no wonder I wasn't sleeping. My heart was racing, I was wired!

Note to self: Always read prescription information before taking medication. Always have a discussion with the doctor about new meds.

Thinking...There is a positive side effect to this medication...Appetite supression.

I may be able to loose some weight while taking this, hummmmm...

The other recent development in my life, and no, its not love...I finally went to get my sciatic issue checked out at a local sports therapy clinic. 6 visits in a week and a half. Numerous treatments...chiropractic, cervical traction, electrical stimulation, ice, heat, stretching, and myofascial release using the most modern of torture devices. The right side of my body has been in pain ever since. Dr. Steve says "scratching at the scab" that's been over my sciatic nerve for 2 years. Yep, I can feel it.

AND no running. I.CAN'T.RUN!!! I can't run. I can't run.

You might as well tell me to stop breathing.

I had to bail on the two races I've already paid for. I've had to bail on my friend who was flying out from DC to run the half marathon with me, and the 11 other people that are on my relay team. (Remember last year, the mountain lion story and getting lost in the vineyard?) I so can't deal with not honoring commitments I've made.

I have no clear vision of the future of my running.

I am so sad.

I AM GOING TO GAIN WEIGHT!!!

Arrrrgggghhhhh!!!

Thinking...I can't think of a positive side of this right now...

Oh wait...See above under PSEUDOEPHEDRINE.


That's my tadpole. Symbol of transition. Big, big transitions, experiencing lots of them.
AGAIN. Ahhh, that's life!

3 comments:

Ragged Around the Edges said...

Uhoh, that sounds like nasty stuff. No sleep and no running is bound to make for a very unhappy Phinner. I hope that soon both issues are cleared up. No fun for you, eh?

Nan said...

Phinner, those little pills can pack whollaping side effects sometimes.

Sorry about the "no running" order. Hang in there.

Hope you had a wonderful (and warm) Easter.

Willie Baronet said...

Another side effect seems to be that it causes Phinner to speak about Phinner in the third person. :-)

I hope you get to run again soon. I can so relate to the back issues!! Hope you are well!!