Home

Saturday, October 06, 2007

Where's the Tooth Fairy When You Need Her?


I cracked a tooth. Guess how I did it...Recall my pez story ??? This particular tooth had already had a triple root canal. And then had the roots capped from the top because they were leaking. (That's when the golf ball sized cyst was sucked out of my sinus. Did you know that approximately 10% of the population has cysts in their sinuses that don't affect anything? But a golf ball sized cyst? Oh-kaaaay.)

The cracked tooth caused an infection that Dr. Chang tried to treat with antibiotics. They didn't touch it. Dr. Chang decided that he had to pull my tooth. But what was to replace it? A bridge or a titanium implant which also required a bone graft. Did you know that they use bovine, cadaver, or tricalcium phosphate to replace bone? Did you know that insurance does not cover titanium implants, nor bone grafts? Did you know that particular treatment costs around $6000? Phew!

So the tooth was removed on Wednesday. I got 6 anesthetic shots. Dr. Chang couldn't pull the tooth, so he drilled out the roots. I lost too much bone from the infection so I needed the bone graft. I'm happy to say that I didn't get any dead people or cows put in my mouth. I got stitches. I can't have dairy, refined sugar, or wine for two weeks. (So much for that wine tasting trip to Napa I was supposed to take today.) I'm taking antibiotics (again) and pain killers, and have to use a antibiotic mouthwash. Its a pretty bleu color. That's as nice as it gets. (Yicky taste!) To add insult to injury, I had to miss a couple of days of workouts!!! Sheesh!!!

I've been going to the dentist since I was 2. I've had caps, fillings, 5 teeth pulled, braces, 9 root canals, 6 crowns, not to mention the sucking of the cyst, the bone graft, two septorhinoplasties, turbinate reduction, and I wear contacts/glasses. I have the 6 million dollar head.

Can I stop having "NOs" and have a few "Yeses"? Can I stop taking pills? Can the rest of the year fly by uneventfully? What's the lesson here? Yeah, don't eat pez! LOL!!!

I did get the cool 360 degree x-ray of my head out of it. Pretty trippy! So appropriate and a perfect lead in to Halloween.

7 comments:

shadow said...

Wow!

So what super power do you now possess with all this oral work? Do you use them for good or for evil?

Oh -- and did the dentist forgot to edit that xray before releasing it? I can swear I can still see the government-planted mind control chip in there. Or maybe not. There's nothing to see here, move along.

phinner said...

Bullsh!t detection.

That will be my new WoggaDeathGirl super power : .)

It'll come with the titanium implant.

Ragged Around the Edges said...

OMIGOSH, Phin, this makes my mouth hurt just reading it. $6,000 is insane! I can't wait to see how you'll scrapbook this.

madretz said...

Yiikes, girl. uh, does not sound like fun. shoot, no wonder you're so adamant about the flossing thing. coolio xray tho - "free with purchase!" lol

Anonymous said...

I agree with Ragged. What does your insurance company expect you to do? Have gaping holes in your mouth? Have crappy, plastic, lead-covered teeth imported from China?

I wish you could stick a $6,000 jagged pole up some insurance exec's rear.

Grumpily Yours,

BB

Lauren said...

Owwwwwww! I haven't been to the dentist in over 2 1/2 years... you're really scaring me.

Nan said...

Oh, Phin, I had no idea you'd been going through so much torture. But you're right the x-ray is cool!
Hope everything is AOK after this.